Former student arrested on rape charge

By Stephi Smith, Executive Editor

A former MTHS student was arrested Tuesday for investigation of sexual assaulting another girl. The first case, from early last year, was pending when Cole Krause, 18, was arrested when the second girl, 16, said Krause raped her at his house.

The second girl reported the incident in January, months after when she said the attack happened, in late September or early October.

In April 2016, Krause was arrested on charges of sexual assault at MTHS, in a hallway. Krause was emergency expelled earlier that year, when the first girl first went to police and later charged with third-degree rape, a felony. He was charged in juvenile court for that first case.

Snohomish County prosecutors since dropped the initial charge, after the first girl dropped it.

On March 28, this year, Mountlake Terrace police detective Heidi Froisland arrested Krause for third-degree rape. Krause was charged with such later that week, on Thursday. This time the charges were made at the Everett District Court.

In a probable cause affidavit filed Tuesday, the girl said that Krause assaulted her at his house, after his mother left. He pushed her against a wall, the affidavit said. The girl said she repeatedly said “no” and told him to get off, all while crying.

Afterward, the girl reported that Krause told her, “we should have sex more.”

Krause denied raping the girl. He said she never said, “no” and blamed her accusations on hitting her head and undergoing a seizure while they hiked earlier.

The girl didn’t tell anyone for a month, she said. Her father took matters to police when he reportedly noticed text messages on her phone, ones she saved in case she ever made a report, in which she had accused Krause of raping her.

“You forced me to have sex with you,” one of her text messages said, according to the affidavit.

“Ok. And im sorry I really am,” Krause allegedly wrote back on October 24.

The girl allegedly listed six other victims, including the girl who had accused Krause of assaulting her in January, Froisland wrote in the affidavit.

“It’s a pattern,” the girl reportedly said to Froisland.

1 Comment

One Response to “Former student arrested on rape charge”

1. David Zaitzeff on April 15th, 2017 9:28 am

It appears from this article that Krause has raped between 1 and 7 young women students of the school. One of the girls, while being raped, apparently was crying and saying no.

Would it help some of you and the kids to take some women’s self-defense classes which give ideas on how to respond to abductions, rapes and attempted rapes? Around the same time as you folks have this news, there was also in the news the story of Kelly Herron who was running in Seattle and who stopped in a bathroom in a Seattle park. She was attacked and she fought back and she continued fighting back for a bit till she was able to escape.

A few weeks earlier she had taken a 90-minute self-defense class with encouragement and ideas about how to respond by fighting the guy off or to the point that he has given up.

Should I make the guess that martial arts or women’s self-defense or even a 1 day class or a 2-hour self-defense class was not a part of the curriculum at Mountlake?

A year or two ago, it was in the news that two men had attempted to abduct or grab two young girls of Denny Middle School ages while the 2 young ladies were walking. A short time later, the principal of Denny Middle School sent out a letter with recommendations to the parents and kids. The recommendations included avoiding certain parks. The recommendations made no reference to taking a self-defense class or going to the martial arts studio or to using the natural weapons found in one’s purse or bag. If I recall correctly, the letter made no suggestions on good ways to fight back.

Now, you folks have a student run newspaper and that means you get to discuss topics without pre-approval from the administration. You get to run the news of a series of rapes by a classmate on other classmates, without the principal approving or disapproving the topic.

OK . . . so, has it occurred to some of you to take a self-defense class or go to martial arts school or to learn or practice how to fight back? If so, then, the next time an evil-doer begins a series of six rapes of students, the first or second girl might yank his ear, gouge his eye or scratch him enough that he or she is marked and the whole thing comes to light before the guy gets to rape #7.

What if the guy tries to beat you up? If you go for a few months to the martial arts place, he will be at a severe disadvantage to you. However, even if you do not and you fight and he bangs you up, you will likely feel great satisfaction in knowing that you fought and every fight during a rape dramatically increases the chances that the guy will be stopped before he goes on to rape the next girl. If you get banged up and miss 3 days of school from blood and bruises, other girls in the school should thank you, because the police will find him and take him away before he gets to raping them.

Kelly Herron of Seattle says that, even if the man who desired to rape her had had a gun, she would have fought. Most rapes and attempted rapes are not that extreme, however and about 90% of them are done without a gun or a knife.

So . . . since at least some schools teach at least some self-defense or martial arts in PE at school . . . some eager journalist could call the principal or assistant principal and say, “Hey, what is our training in fighting back when a guy is starting to rape us?” At least, in this article, I don’t notice any discussion of that . . . and I don’t even read of the principal sending out a letter with ideas on how to avoid rape by classmates, and such ideas including avoiding walking in the park. . . Oh . . . my . . .

[Reply]

Former student arrested on rape charge