Hawks End Season With 34-30 Loss to North Kitsap Vikings

The 2017 WIAA State Basketball Tournament was held on March 1, also marking the end of the season for the MTHS men’s basketball team .

The Hawks faced off at 9 a.m. against the number six seed, the North Kitsap High School Vikings, at the Yakima Sundome. The game looked promising as the Hawks took an early lead and ended the first half ahead of the Vikings by eight points.

Entering the second half of the game the Vikings proved that they were a force to be reckoned with. North Kitsap began the second half by making the first shot of the third quarter.

The only shot made in the third quarter by MTHS was made by senior forward, Sean Kirk.

They began the final quarter of the game down by two points and the fourth quarter soon showed to be the messiest for the Hawks. Most of the nine points they managed to score were off of free throw shots.

The lead bounced back and forth between North Kitsap and MTHS and eventually it all came down to the last seconds of the game.

The score was 32-30 North Kitsap with eight seconds left in the game when the Hawks lost possession of the ball.

The Vikings had the opportunity to make two free throw shots with only six seconds remaining on the clock, bringing the score to 34-30.

That would be the end of the 2016-2017 basketball season for the MTHS Hawks.

Throughout the game the Hawks had 25 turnovers.

Despite the loss Kirk lead with the most points, scoring 12 in total for the Hawks. Senior forward Brock Davis and North Kitsap junior guard Zac Olmsted tied for second with 10 points scored.