Freshman FAQ

A survival guide for Hawks new to the nest with questions provided by Link Crew members.

Q: How much work is freshman year?

A: If you manage your time well and work efficiently, then this school year shouldn’t be too much of a challenge.If you’re properly motivated then there will be a higher chance of success. Socially, it may be tough because of the transition from middle school. Being in a different environment with people of varying age and personalities can seem intimidating at first, but just like most new experiences, you adapt to the lifestyle.

mths5online

Q: How to do well in high school?

A: Studying before a test makes all the difference. Find a study method that works for you. Experiment with a few and figure out which one helps you the most. Try to stay on top of all of your schoolwork. Manage your time well; procrastination can end up stressing you out and doesn’t allow you to do your best work. Set goals for yourself and make a plan to help achieve them. Using a planner or reminder app can help with scheduling your day and using your time wisely.

Q: Who can I talk to if I have issues with my classes?

A: Your counselors are easily accessible resources and always willing to help with any problem you have, or if you just want to talk. You can find them in the Counseling Office below the front entrance. We also have a psychologist who can help with mental health and how to balance it with your courses.

Q: What are zero and seventh periods? 

A: Zero and seventh period classes are class that start before and end after the normal school day. Available zero periods include leadership, link crew and Jazz 2 and 3, all starting at 6:21 a.m. Available seventh period include Sports Medicine, Journalism and Play Production.

Q: When can you take AP classes? 

A: Students are able to begin taking AP classes their sophomore year. You are given the option to take AP European History as a single class or together with Honors English 10 in a Humanities block, which consists of the two classes back to back. Sophomores can choose to take AP Chemistry or AP Physics but there are caveats, including dependence on your grade in Biology and whether or not you received a recommendation from your Biology teacher.

Q: Can you eat in class?

A: Drinks are allowed in most classrooms. Snacking is absolutely not allowed in science classrooms during class time. However, some science teachers allow students to eat lunch in their classroom. Otherwise, it depends on the teacher. If you’re curious, just ask!

Q: How to make friends with upperclassmen? 

A: An easy way to make friends with upperclassmen is to join clubs or participate in other extracurricular activities. This way, you already have something in common to talk about. In addition, classes such as Jewelry and Metal Design, PE and Theater Tech usually host students from every class.

Q: How open-minded is MTHS?

A: MTHS has a no-tolerance policy for bullying. The faculty is very accepting of gender identities and sexual orientations, and the school even has a Gay Straight Alliance club (GSA). This school has many opportunities for students to find their niche, with clubs and organizations ranging from Super Smash Brothers Club to DECA.

mths1online

Q: How much to dress for spirit days?

A: Spirit days are an opportunity for students to represent their classes in as crazy and outrageous outfits as they can acquire.

Q: Can girls ask boys out to homecoming?

A: Yes! While you may have heard of a “Sadie Hawkins” dance, specifically meant for girls to ask boys, you don’t have to wait for it. Living in the 21st century, you have the best opportunity to take the risk and ask!