Be educated, be involved, exercise democracy

As Americans, we are so blessed that sometimes we take for granted some of the blessings that we have.

For example, the other day, I heard someone say that their vote didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Voting is one of the greatest aspects about our government.

The fact that the people have a significant voice and role in politics minimizes corruption and allows us to keep the government in check.

There are nations who have fought, who have had to endure bloodshed by way of revolution for something as seemingly simple as the right to vote. Look at Syria. Look at Egypt. The very idea of an American citizen choosing to give away that right is such a waste.

I’m thankful for the Hawkeye creating a full newspaper issue based around politics and the intricacies of what’s going on as we are currently swept up in one of, if not the most, fascinating election cycles of all time.

I know that being a young person, it can be hard to engage within the realm of politics because now more than ever, the American people are frustrated, disillusioned and sick of the seemingly corrupt political process. But contrary to public belief, it is by participating rather than not participating that we can correct the corruption in D.C.

By becoming involved, we can assert the voice of the American people to eradicate the fouls of the government.

With Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz and Hillary Clinton all duking it out for their party’s nomination as well as picking up headlines for their policies (or lack thereof) and what they’d do if they became president, it is important for us to not only vote (for those who can vote) but also choose our candidate of choice based on strong, educated beliefs.

With the internet so easily accessible, it is easier than ever for the people to take advantage and base their opinions on actual facts. It is almost a tragedy if we allow our own laziness to turn into ignorance.

Next time you see a post on social media that is aimed at a specific candidate regardless of which party it is, go look up the facts and see if the post is actually true before you begin to spread it.

The worst thing you can do is re tweet/favorite a post that spreads lies about a candidate or ideal.

As future citizen leaders of America, we need to take it upon ourselves to prove to the past generations that as millennials, we aren’t the “worst generation ever.”

How do we do that?

By taking advantage of the very blessings that we have.

Note: The Hawkeye provides the MTHS Associated Student Body space each issue in the Op/Ed section as part of our mission as a designated open public forum.