Annual Santa’s Workshop, Music Booster’s “biggest fundraiser,” held Saturday at MTHS

©HAWKEYE image credit: Dee Strohl

The annual Breakfast with Santa’s Workshop, hosted by the MTHS music boosters, was a hit yet again. The HUB was in full holiday decor and festive music spread throughout the halls from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday.

Breakfast with Santa’s Workshop has taken place on the second Saturday of December for the past 14 years (since 2001) as a collaboration between the different facets of the music department.. MTHS Choir director T.J. Sullivan, band director Darin Faul and orchestra director Jennifer Schillen always take class time to prepare for this event.

Breakfast with Santa’s Workshop is the music boosters’ biggest fundraiser each year, though there are several more throughout the year, according to Sullivan. The music boosters are a large group of parents and volunteers who are in charge of money and events for the MTHS music department.

Music booster president Paulina Neri said that over the years, the music boosters have been trying to make the event more community based, for example by adding a kids area, making Santa the main event and lowering costs of breakfast. They’ve also began allowing local artists and crafters to rent out tables and sell their products.

For MTHS musicians, Breakfast with Santa’s workshop is important, but it’s much more of a relaxed environment to perform at since there is many other things going on as well. The kids from other schools have never gotten to do something quite like performing with older kids

“To me, it’s more important that the other kids have a good experience,” Sullivan said.

For MTHS musicians, Breakfast with Santa’s workshop is important, but it’s much more of a relaxed environment to perform at since there is many other things going on as well. The kids from other schools have never gotten to do something quite like performing with older kids.

Choirs from other schools, such as Cedar Way Elementary and Spruce Elementary, had the chance to perform various christmas themed song throughout the morning, including “Snow Day,” “It’s Snowing,” “Holiday” and “Winter Walk.”

The MTHS choirs performed three songs, which they had practiced since the end of October, according to Sullivan. The songs were “French Carol Suit,” “That’s Christmas to Me” and “12 Days of Christmas.” The Dynamic choir also sang “Mary Did You Know” originally performed by the a cappella band, Pentatonix.

According to Faul, the Symphonic band played a few Christmas carols while the Chamber Winds and Jazz bands practiced for their upcoming concert, the Nutcracker, which will take place on Thursday and Friday, the 17th and 18th. The Chamber Winds played “March,” “Russian Dance,” and “Waltz with the Flowers” while Jazz played two corresponding songs, “Dance of the Floreadores” and “Peanut Brittle Brigade.” The bands have prepared for roughly a month on their songs.
The orchestra played various Christmas carols including “Holly Jolly Christmas,” “Silver Bells,” “Jingle Bell Rock” and “The Hanukkah Song.” The Concert and Symphonic orchestra also played a combination of two songs, “Carol of the Bells” and “Greensleeve.” Schillen said the orchestras also practiced for about a month before the event.

View Comments (1)