Hawks come out on top over Mavericks for their second straight win

Clashed on the gridiron of Edmonds Stadium, the Hawks were just too much for the Mavericks both offensively and defensively and won the game, 30-14.

Meadowdale has gotten the best of the Hawks in their last five matchups prior to this 2015-2016 showdown. In fact, in those games, Meadowdale has had an average margin of victory of 18.2 points.

That was not the story last night.

“We were underrated coming into the game,” senior quarterback Michael Jenson said. “I just wanted to go out there and pound it down their throats.”

That they did. In their first drive of the game, for the second week straight, they were able to score right off the bat get an early touchdown, going up 7-0. That drive was capped off by a 27-yard touchdown run from Jenson.

Also for the second week straight, the Hawks opted for an onside kick and recovered to get two back-to-back possessions within the first quarter of the game. And, once again, the Hawks stuck to what they do best: run the ball.

Jenson once again led the Hawks downfield with the help of senior running back Jordan Bishop, who would have quite a game himself with 195 yards off of 25 carries. On this drive, Jenson would once again put the cherry on top with a four yard run to the house for an early whopping 13-0 lead after being just six minutes into the first quarter.

The Hawks offense didn’t get to rest too much on the sideline as the defense would force a fumble and recover. The Hawks once again marched downfield with a 67 yard run and capped it off with a 1-yard touchdown run from senior running back Tanner Munnis. Hawks led 20-0 over the Mavericks at this junction of the game.

The second quarter would be the opposite of the high scoring first, coming out scoreless for both teams.

After halftime, what was thought to be a blowout turned into an electrifying showdown as the Mavericks began to show what they were made of. They came out of the locker with two straight touchdowns via the pass to make it only a one possession deficit.

Meadowdale was then able to get another stop and possibly take the lead, but junior quarterback for the Mavericks, Drew Tingstad, threw his pass too high and couldn’t hit his intended receiver on a 4th and goal which gave the ball right back to the Hawks.

“We weren’t worried for a second,” Jenson said. “It just motivated to get the next touchdown and win the game.”

The Hawks stormed downfield with a drive that lasted 11 minutes and six seconds. In that drive however, the Hawks got a scare when Jenson ended up limping to the bench off of a run play.

“My leg was cramping up,” Jenson said. “I couldn’t move my leg at all. I came off for two plays but after that, I was fine.”

Jenson, cramp or not, would complete a 26-yard field goal, giving Hawks a 23-14 lead with only 1:34 left in the game.

It was the beginning of the end for the Mavericks’ attempt at a second half comeback but their fate would be completely sealed when senior defensive back Riley Morrin intercepted a pass from Tingstad and took it 50 yards to the house. That gave the Hawks a 30-14 lead with a minute left.

With too little time for the Mavericks to recover, the Hawks would win their second straight game of the season while the Mavericks would lose their second straight of the season.

The Hawks go on the road next Friday to visit the Shorewood Thunderbirds on their home turf at Shoreline Stadium at 7 p.m.