Terrace soccer ends season with a tough loss to the Mavericks

©HAWKEYE image credit: Jack Fiorillo
Senior forward Alec Somers jumps up for a header.

The Hawks men’s soccer team played a hard game but fell short to the Meadowdale Mavericks, losing 2-0 Thursday night at Edmonds Stadium to end its season.

The Hawks couldn’t break through the Mavericks’ tough defense. Tensions were high throughout the game, with numerous players on both teams receiving yellow cards.

Assistant coach Dino Aristides said that Meadowdale has a strong midfield, whereas MTHS has a “more explosive” offense.

Despite the fact that Meadowdale scored a goal against the them late in the first half, the Hawks didn’t let up.

“We had chances [to score] in the first five minutes of the second half, and then another one in the last 10 minutes of the second half, and [we] just couldn’t do it,”  Aristides said.

Senior foreword Alec Somers put pressure on the Maverick’s goalkeeper with multiple shots on goal.

“The Meadowdale team is very strong, and what kept us in the game was our goalie,” Aristides said.

Sophomore goalie Genaro Ruis truly did keep them in the game. Diving left, right, up and down, Ruis’ defensive skill was impressive.

“Meadowdale is a very strong team. They pass well, their midfield is very strong, every player is very talented,” Aristides said.

The Hawks have had a tough season this year. Aristides said there were several high and low points this season.

“It’s had its ups and downs, no consistency. Some games really good, some games not so well,” Aristides said.

The Hawks end the season with a 4-7-1 league record. They will be saying goodbye to seven seniors this year: Zach Senato, Henri Breuer, Memo Nakour, Erik Hynes, Ivan Melchor, Alec Somers and Brady Jackson.