Letter to the editor: You don’t need to be a genius to be in STEM

A Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) class offers something you can experience almost nowhere else. Students are offered a large number of new opportunities, this gives them a chance to break out of their comfort zone and try something new. It doesn’t matter if a student takes robotics, rocketry club, or TSA; any of these organizations gives students the chance to expand their knowledge and experiences.

It’s possible that a student might even find out what they want to do after graduating from MTHS by taking a STEM class. STEM allows students the freedom and independence to express their creativity through their own creations and their own products. Sadly, what I think people don’t realize is that they don’t need to be a genius to join and enjoy the benefits of STEM. In fact, many people who work in STEM professions don’t have to have a Ph.D.

“These STEM jobs are not just growing for those with higher educational degrees,”  Jonathan Rothwell wrote in a report titled “The Hidden STEM Economy.”

“Half of all STEM jobs are available to workers without a four-year college degree, and these jobs pay…10 percent higher than jobs with similar educational requirements,” Rothwell wrote.

STEM is not only for engineers. It’s a safe path to a successful life.

Nicolas Wolff-Gee

Freshman