Two winners excel in final round of Terrace Idol

©HAWKEYE image credit: Anna Vu
Clingan receiving her audience choice award.

The last round of Terrace Idol was finally here and the top five contestants were ready to give it their all on Thursday Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in the MTHS theater. Two winners were to be chosen from the five, including an audience choice and a judges choice.

The judges for this round were Rebecca Ellersick, an MTHS alumnae that was in both choirs and in the theater program while at MTHS. Meg Stecker-Thorsen was returning again from judging in the second round, and the last judge was Michael “The Wanz” Wansley. He has been deeply involved in music and has been performing for over 30 years in the greater Seattle area. Wanz is best known for being featured on Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’s hit single, “Thrift Shop.”

To start the night off, Mckenna Sessions from LHS was the first to perform. She sang “Don’t Rain on My Parade” by Barbra Streisand, and had on a sparkling dress that caught the eye. Sessions showcased her great voice but the judges remarked the message of the song could be sent better.

The second to sing was Aliya Marulita from EWHS, who sang “Feeling Good.” She started with a nice a capella start and appeared comfortable throughout.

Alisha Clingan from MTHS was the third contestant to appear on stage. She sang “Love Came Down” and had a great recovery after a rough start. She started quiet and soft before then reaching a forte. The judges said more connection to the crowd would have been good.

Fourth in line was Rodney Ocfemia from EWHS, who sang “Stand By Me” while playing a double bass. His voice was clear and pure, while being soulful as always.

The last to perform was Makeala Eddings from LHS, one of the favorites from the previous rounds. Eddings sang “Love You I Do” and displayed her magnificent voice once again. Improvement was seen from the past week, with Wanz repeatedly telling her “don’t let us off easy.” Meaning more movement would have made for a fuller performance, but either way, Eddings still impressed with her raw energy as a performer.

With the conclusion of the contestants performances, the judges left the room to contemplate their pick for winner, and the audience filled out their ballots for who they thought should win.

Previous winner Caitlin Yanos from EWHS came out to perform her self written song about not wanting friendships to end, and played her ukulele alongside.

Finally, the contestants were brought out and the winners were to be announced. The first was the audience choice, which was awarded to Clingan, and then the Judges’ Choice, which was given to Eddings.

Both the winners performed a second song. Clingan performed “I Want You Back” originally by the Jackson 5 and had her mom on piano and brought out Sophie Parsons to play the box drum.

Eddings sang “Opportunity” by Sia, and had changed her dress in the meantime for this second performance.

The night then ended with a quick a capella performance by Wanz, who sang his song “I Will” off of his new “Wander” EP. It ended up being quite the night, full of great musical talent and