Hawkeye earns several national awards

Hawkeye staff members meet with the Washington Post’s Timothy Smith in the A1 Decision Room in the Post’s headquarters in Washington D.C. on Nov. 6, 2014.

Hawkeye staff members earned several national awards at the JEA/NSPA national journalism convention Nov. 6-9 at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel and Convention Center in Washington D.C. More than 6300 students, educators and media professionals attended the four-day conference. Here’s how the Hawkeye fared:

Best of Show · In the prestigious “Best of Show” contest, the Hawkeye placed 6th in Newspaper Special Edition for the final edition of the 2013-2014 school year focusing on 2014 graduates.

Best of Show · In the prestigious “Best of Show” contest, the Hawkeye’s current website placed 2nd in Publication Website for schools with fewer than 1500 students.

NSPA Story of the Year · In the News Story of the Year for 2014, Nick Fiorillo earned an Honorable Mention for “The devastating impact of prescription drug abuse hits home.”

NSPA Story of the Year · In the Multimedia Feature Story of the Year for 2014, Jaira Arcilla, Nick Fiorillo and the staff of the Hawkeye earned an Honorable Mention for “Kayla Wheeler: Nothing she can’t do.”

On-Site Write-Offs · 2,168 students participated in on-site competitions where their work was judged against tough national standards. Here’s how the Hawkeye staff fared:

Press Law & Ethics · Nick Fiorillo earned one of just two “Superior” awards in the category

Review Writing · Brian Tran earned an “Excellent”

News Writing · Paxtyn Merten earned an “Honorable Mention”

Sports Writing · Luke Thurber earned an “Honorable Mention”

Literary Magazine Poetry · Beza Ayele earned an “Honorable Mention”

Literary Magazine Illustration · Erika Fisher earned an “Honorable Mention”