Men’s soccer and baseball end season in playoffs

Season after season, the one thing about Terrace sports that one can always count on is unpredictable outcomes.

So when the spring sports season started back in the beginning of March, it was an unlikely season for both the MTHS soccer and baseball teams.  One team performed better than expected while the other fell short of high expectations.  Both teams started off this year with great results.

From the beginning it was obvious that men’s varsity soccer was going to do well. They won three of their first four games with a tie in the second game against highly ranked Shorewood High School.

The varsity baseball teams also kicked off to a good start, winning five out of their first six games. This was not unexpected however due to the Hawks postseason success last year and their highly anticipated run toward the state championship this year.

Both teams appeared to be at a good pace to make playoffs but their game play had to continue in order for that to happen. Ultimately both teams continued to play well through the season with some rough patches. The result was playoff berths for both the soccer team and the baseball team.

The soccer team played Monroe High School in the first game of the district playoffs. Unfortunately, the Hawks were dealt a 4-3 loss after a shoot out ended the tied score at clocks end.

This was the first time the varsity men made it to the postseason in 10 years.

“Throughout the year we learned to work very well together.  We had a solid, hard working defense and the magical footwork and speed of the Alvarez brothers.  All of these led us to our first postseason game in a long time,” said senior captain Robert Yarbrough.

The fate of the baseball team was not too dissimilar.

Although the team was expected to do very well, their hopes of playing at Safeco Field were stopped short by back-to-back losses against Monroe High School and then Lake Stevens High School.

Senior catcher Paul Clingan said the Hawks’ early defeat was from a “lack of work ethic, self determination, and motivation.”

“Lots of drama involving key players on the team ultimately led to not every person having their head in the game,” said senior center fielder Jacob Mann.

Unfortunately for the team this year, outside factors affected the teams overall performance which hindered their ability to work and play at their best.

Both teams made it to the playoffs, but quick losses ended title runs. Hopefully future seasons will hold more fortune for the soccer and baseball teams.

If the soccer team can make it to the playoffs for the first time in 10 years, they can do it again.

At this point, however, it’s better luck next year Hawks.