Hawks fall to Columbia River in regional round at State

The Hawks line up prior to the start of the game.

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

The Hawks baseball season ended in a 3-0 loss to the Columbia River Chieftains in the regional round of the 3A WIAA state baseball tournament Saturday morning at Bannerwood Park in Bellevue.

The Chieftains’ senior right-hander Seth Rayburn held the Hawks to just three hits for the entire game. Two Hawks’ runners reached base on errors as well.

Senior pitcher Dominic DeMiero threw a complete game holding the 21-5 Chieftains to just six hits while striking out five batters. But, one costly error turned a harmless single to shallow right field into a bases-clearing triple. That was all Columbia River needed.

The Hawks threatened to score a couple of times, but could only muster base hits by DeMiero, Jaden Yackley and Wyatt Allemann.

Although the season didn’t end as many wanted, it was still a very successful year.

The Hawks fought all season long to be one of the 16 teams to make it to the state tournament. Despite a slow start to the season, they picked it up and at one point even won five games in a row.

The Hawks made all the way to the District 1 Championship, but fell to Glacier Peak. They finished with a 13-11 record on the season.

Photos courtesy of Jenny Serres

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_gallery type=”flexslider_fade” interval=”3″ images=”10404,10403,10394,10390″ onclick=”link_image” custom_links_target=”_self” img_size=”400×300″][/vc_column][/vc_row]